Jordan's Blogarama

This is a blog telling about what I did in the run of a day and/or my opionion on whatever topic I feel like posting about.... yep, check back often for more details and don't be afraid to spread the word about my blog!

Tuesday, July 11, 2006

July 11th: The Day of the Social Research Assistant for NLACL ( Newfoundland and Labrador Assoc. for Community Living)

So ya, where to start? So, I woke up at 6 am to get ready for work ( After going to the St. John's Anchormen Barbershop Chorus from 7-9 pm last night at the Aliant Pioneer Centre in Pleasantville: I must be nuts!) Anyways by the time I got ready, it was 7;10/7:15 a.m ( All dressed up in my black suit, Yellow Tie, Black Pants, Black Socks and Black Shoes: business formal for my first day of work at the NLACL ( Newfoundland and Labrador Association for Community Living: which i'll talk about in more detail later in this entry) on Pete Street in St.John's, NL to work as a Social Research Assistant) For breakfast, I had two slices of peanut butter toast and a glass of orance juice!

So ya at 7:30 a.m , I took Route 1 of the Metrobus to get to the Village and then Transfered to Route 25 to get to the Avalon Mall (only to discover it also goes by Pete Street) Anyway on the way there,when we stopped briefly at the Avalon Mall Food Court Entrance, I ran into Susan Strickland, a friend of mine who is a CONA graduate ( She got on my case sometimes jokingly about the fact I used to think she was a graduate from Academy Canada or something like that! lol..!)

So ya I arrived at work early (8am even though the job doesn't start until 8:30 a.m) Anyways from 8:30-9 am, I took a look around the office to familiarize myself with its format, some posters on the wall,etc...

Anyways, The receptionist ( I think that's her role) showed up at 9 am and gave me a huge binder called the "Board of Directors handbook/manual) So from 9 -10:00/10:30 a.m , I read section 1-4a of the 10 sections: Outlining the Constitution of the NLACL, the Format of how the organization is run ( Board of Directors, Support Staff, Committee,Members,etc....) So then I was asked to read through previous publications of the NLACL's quarterly newsletter The Gatewat ( which is now available online at http://www.nlacl.ca : the latest comingissue is due out in August!)

( I managed to read 15 pages out of 24 because I was taking notes on everything written in the Spring 1993 edition of the Gateway for my social research duties that will be going full-speed in a week or so!)

So ya then around 11 am or so, I took a break to have 2 slices of banana bread offered at the kitchen there. From then on,I either took a break for 20 minutes or I continued reading the Spring 1993 edition of Gateway. So ya , from 11:41- 12:05 p.m, I put my last bit of work in before walking down to Scamper's to get some Fish and Chips with malt vinegar and ketchup and I bought a copy of The Globe and Mail newspaper ( It's becoming a new favourite of mine: up there with The Telegram and The Independent!)

So ya at 1:34 p.m, after finishing my lunch and chatting with Melanie ( my Boss..sort of) while reading the Paper, I got back to work ( Throughout the day, I did some obb jobs that weren't in the job description: assisting with unloading the old printer of paper to move a 'temporary' new multi-function printer until the 'permanent' one is in stock, answering phones,etc...)

Anyways to avoid going into too much detail, we discussed some proposal ideas and decided that tomorrow, we are going to make our 'Five Priorities' for the next 6 1/2 -7 weeks of my mandate there as a employee, to set a time daily for some ' Feedback time' . So ya, I got off work at 4:00 p.m ( because i needed to catch the Metrobus home and to plan out my route). After running into Justin F. , a girl from choir, and many others friends, and getting stuck waiting for Route 1 for 45 minutes, I learned that the Route 1 towards Cowan Heights and broken down and I needed to go on an alternative route ( route 15 to the rescue... I think that's the one I got on) ... ( I also had some interesting conversations while waiting) Anyways, I got home at 6 pm and got changed into some more casual wear to tell mom and my Step-dad ,Greg all about my day and to enjoy some Pork (or steak...) and Potatoes, Read ' The Globe and Mail' , do some chores around the house, post on this blog, check e-mails quickly,etc..

( I started bloging at 8:30 p.m and its now 11:16 p.m and I needed to hurry through this to get to bed early enough to work tomorrow)

Hopefully, tomorrow's entry won't be so rushed!!!

















By the way, Faytene Krysko ( I'm not sure about the spelling of the last name) has three main Christian ministries FlyHighMinistries, MyCanada and The Summer Ministry/ Gathering known as TheCry( July 15th is going to be the start of TheCry2).
Anyway, TheCry has a blog at http://thecry2him.blogspot.com/

Trust me, it's worth checking out if you wanna find out what their all about!